Sea Glass

The King’s Academy is filled with many amazing teachers who serve as such a blessing to the student body. One teacher that many students absolutely love is Mrs. Spell. Mrs. Spell is the Marketing Honors, Entrepreneurship, DE Introduction to Business, and Geometry teacher and loves every second of her job. After asking Mrs. Spell what she loved most about TKA, she said, “I love the high school students and I think the breadth of offering is amazing. Students have such a great opportunity to explore their interests in so many different areas.” She is unquestionably right. This school truly has been blessed beyond measure and has so much to offer to each and every person on its campus. Mrs. Spell has worked at TKA for 15 years after working as a technical sales engineer and a national account manager at Shell Chemical Company USA. She decided to come teach since she grew up watching her parent’s careers and how they impacted their family and their students. She also wanted to give her four children, Katie, Rachel, Jennifer, and Ethan a great education at a Christian private school. All of her children have graduated but are so grateful for their time at King’s. Something interesting about Mrs. Spell that some people may remember from a chapel Mrs. Spell spoke at two years ago, is that she has a collection of sea glass. Why sea glass you may ask? Well, Mrs. Spell said, “To me, Sea Glass is a symbol of Christ’s power in our lives. It is something that is broken and tossed aside, but as it goes through the trials and turbulence of life, it is made beautiful.” Mrs. Spell wants to be part of this impact that Christ leaves on each person’s life, so she cares for each and every one of her students as if they were her own. A bible verse that Mrs. Spell likes to remind herself and her students is 2 Corinthians 4:7 (ESV), which says, “But we have this treasure in jars of clay, to show that the surpassing power belongs to God and not to us.”  “It reminds me that even the simplest or most humble vessel can be used by God in a powerful way and that God does not value things the same way the world does” Mrs. Spell concluded her interview. Many students and I are so grateful for her wisdom and would like to thank Mrs. Spell for being such an amazing addition to the TKA family.